School History

A history of Education in Onewhero: History of the School

Onewhero School began on 10 November 1891. This is a photograph of a painting of the orginal Dyer home, where schooling began. The site was on Miller Road, Kaipo Flats.
schoolpic1
The first Onewhero School
Later a new school was built
districths
In 1955, Onewhero School became a District High School. This photos is from the early 1970s.
Today it's a different story. We're a top-class Area School...

The School Colours, Crest and Motto

Prior to District High School days, Onewhero School colours were green and white. When the school became a District High School in 1955, blue and grey were chosen as the colours for the uniform. Today, the school colours worn are royal blue and navy with a touch of gold.

 

Mr Alan Shepherd, the headmaster at the time, chose the motto EACH FOR ALL – Te Kotahi Mo Te Katoa. We shared the motto with Alexandre Dumas’ characters, ‘The Three Musketeers’: Each for all and all for each. Or to go back even one step further, it was an ancient Latin saying: Singula sint omnium et omnia singulorum.

Near the end of 2016 “Each for All” was reconsidered by a working group with representatives from the Board of Trustees, OAS Senior Managers, and Onewhero community. A new vision was given wings: “Being the best we can – No limits!”. This vision is accompanied by three values Ako (Purpose), Mahi ngā tahi (Character), and Whanaungatanga (Community).

 

Mrs Kath Bouskill thought of the idea of the crest with three crowns representing the three contributing districts (Onewhero, Te Kohanga, Opuatia) placed upon a symbolised river (Waikato).